Thursday 22 December 2011

Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes


According to Wikipedia "New Year resolution is a commitment that an individual makes to one or more lasting personal goals, projects, or the reforming of a habit".  The dawn of a new year is an opportunity for self-reflection and I love it!  There have been a few big New Year's Resolutions that I have been able to keep in the past such as quitting smoking however, I don't think I have ever had such an adult list of truly doable resolutions as I do this year.  Without further ado...

1.)  Commit to a Healthy Lifestyle
      This includes continuing my 4-6 day a week workouts at The Motion Room, not eat out as much and drink WAY more water then I do now.  I have been pretty good for the last two months regarding the gym stuff but the drinking more water and adhering to a healthy diet will be the challenges.

2.)  Quit Drinking
      Booze and I have had a tumultuous 15 year relationship and it's time to let go.  Although we have had some great times together, trust me when I say that as of late, nothing good comes out of it.  I am a binge drinker and I can drink A LOT.  There are times when I can have a couple glasses of wine and relax but most of the time, once it hits the lips...well, you know how the story goes. 

3.)  Call My Gram Once a Week and See Her Twice a Month
      I used to live with my Gram and saw her every day.  Now, I have to admit that our time together is sparse.  This must change.  She is 91 and although she's a tough old bird, I need to face the fact that she may not be around for very much longer.  I love her and she is one of the most important women in my life.  I have to commit to spend more time with her. 

4.)  Walk the Dogs For 1 hr Every Day
       Yeah, I bet you thought I was some super dog owner and walked my dogs like a boss.  I don't.  They are taken for 3 short walks a day as of late, I can see the results.  They are not happy and neither would I be if I were a dog.  It is good for them and good for me. 

5.)  Smile More
      I don't smile nearly enough and am told so all the time.  For years I fought against the cheery masses, claiming that I just didn't have a smiley face.  My resting face looks like a frown bc my mouth naturally turns down.  Who the hell goes around smiling all the time, like some clown?  Well, I do as of January 1st :)  And you better smile back.

6.)  Save More Money and Follow A Budget
      I am the WORST at saving money.  Oh sure I have an RRSP and some other crap like that but as for a savings account?  Forget it.  I can save a few hundred bucks for something specific but to be honest, even with a six- figure household income, there's not much left in the account at the end of the month.  I am a shopper.  I LOVE to shop; and not just for myself.  I love buying things for people.  I would like to replace these material things with time.  This is going to be a tough one for me as I will also be trying to reform Terry...

7.)  Get Back In Touch With Old Friends
      The recent death of a close high school friend really affected me.  There was a celebration of his life that I didn't attend because I thought that no one wanted to see me or that it would be weird and awkward bc I hadn't seen any of my old friends in so long, etc.  I have had the pleasure of being friends with some amazing people in my 30 years (and some not so great ones too) and I wish I had of put more effort into maintaining those friendships.  I believe that it's never too late to reignite the spark.  Keep an eye on your inbox old pals :)

8.)  Clean One Area of the House a Day
      Yeah right.  But I am really going to try.  Between working full-time, running a business, two dogs, a cat and a man my house can be a fucking disaster and sometimes the mess is so overwhelming that I would rather crawl into bed and ignore it than clean it up.  My mom's house always looks great so I asked her for some advice.  She came up with resolution number 8 and again, I will also be reforming Terry.

9.)  Appreciate the GOOD things and don't focus on the BAD
      This is a big one for me.  I tend to be an extremely cynical and negative person.  Everyone around me is an idiot, no one can do anything right, someone is always trying to fuck with me, I'm too fat, too ugly, blah, blah, blah.  Who the fuck wants to be around a person like that?!  Not me.  I have a great life, a great partner, a great family and I'm working on the great friends part.  i have a lot to be happy about and thankful for.  It's time I start acting that way.  Do worry, Imma still tell it like it is ;)

10.)  Make Time For Me
        So much of my life is spent doing things for other people: colleagues, friends, family, strangers and I often become very resentful.  I am going to learn to say NO and make sure that I am taken care of as well as the people in my life. 

I was only going to have Ten Resolutions but I think that this one is very important.  

11.)  Set Aside at least 1 Hour a Week to Volunteer. 
        Giving back to your community is so important and although I do a lot of charity work, I have let this important part of my life fall by the wayside.  There are so many opportunities to do good right in your own backyard.  Whether it be reading to Seniors in a retirement home, snuggling kitties at the animal shelter, tutoring kids at an after school program or cleaning up a park; volunteering feels so good :)

Well, there you have it.  11 Resolutions that I am going to my darndest to keep.  One of the ways that I am going to attempt to keep these resolutions is to write EVERYTHING down in my agenda.  I just need to get myself a nice new one first...

Merry Christmas Everyone!  Love You Lots!

xo M





No comments:

Post a Comment